Saturday, December 24, 2011

Frohe Weihnachten!

To all my German readers and those all over the world who celebrate Christmas today: Frohe Weihnachten! Feliz Navidad! Buon Natale! Have a wonderful Christmas Eve!


I won’t be able to post a lot today, because December 24th is full of traditions in our family. Some traditions are old. Some are new. But we all love them dearly and nothing can keep us away from celebrating them ;-)
One of my favourite traditions is decorating the Christmas tree. My two siblings and I have been doing that for the past few years and it is always a celebration in itself.
First we get all the Christmas boxes from the basement. It takes us three to four trips before we have all the collected decoration treasures which my mum has collected over the years.

Then discussions start about how the tree should look like this year. Monochrome? Colourful? Traditional red and green? Full of memories? Bad taste? This discussion is part of the ritual although we always end up throwing everything together. A bit of handmade ornaments from our kindergarten years. Some shiny Christmas balls. Lots of real candles. Some folk art. Some glitter.
And one thing is never missing. Our collection of obnoxious ornaments. We always add something new each year and it is really astonishing what is available. And they mean it seriously, don’t they?
Anyway, these were last year’s ornaments:
The most decorated hippo in the world.
A Yorkshire terrier.
A garden gnome.
I cannot wait to see what my brother and sister have ‘unearthed’ this year. I have to admit mine is a bit lame this year. But how could you possible top last year’s highlights ;-)
Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Christmas traditions – whatever they are – and I wish you a happy and peaceful Christmas Eve!!!

2 comments:

Christiane said...

Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch!
Habt Spaß beim Feiern,
lg, Christiane

* Ninotschka * said...

Vielen lieben Dank, Christiane. Wünsche ich dir und deinen Lieben auch von ganzem Herzen.