Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12.12.2012: Great Gift for all Men in your life: Spiced Salt


12 days until Christmas, I guess it is time now for some last minute gift ideas. I don’t know why but I think presents for boys are not easy to find. Well, with the exception of small boys, maybe. But the older they get the more difficult it gets. And they are just not into all the nice little things that you could get your girlfriends, sister, mum or granny: shimmery nail polish, chocolate truffles, crafting books, little bags, ... Still, there are so many men in my life who deserve a wonderful gift that they actually like. And I bet they love this spiced salt...



For... foodies, savoury lovers, husbands, dads, brothers, teenage sons, uncles, maintenance men, craftsmen
Why? To pimp up any boring buttered bread, to add oomph to any dish, to get rid of all the sweet overdose of Christmas cookies and chocolate
Make I followed the recipe found here at Chefkoch and I translated it for all of you do not speak German
 
250 g sea salt, as coarse as possible, it will be grounded
3 tablespoons fried onions, possibly more
1 teaspoon pepper, ground black or colored, medium-fine
1 teaspoon black cumin, ground
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 tsp dried thyme
½ bay leaf, finely crumbled
1 teaspoon chili powder, possibly more
2 tsp dried garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
Alpha
Mix all spices, except salt and onions, well in a mortar pestle and crush them properly. Then stir this mixture well with the sea salt and the onions and stir well and let the whole stand for 3-4 hours or even longer.  Stir and mix every now and then.
Now put it all into a blender and grind but not too fine, so that the salt still has a "rough" structure (you can also do this in the mortar, but it is very tiring).
Tastes great on bread with butter, scrambled eggs, and boiled eggs or as a condiment in salads etc.

I know you need a lot of different spices and you might not find all of the in your spice rack, yet, but it is so worth making this salt. I am addicted. Honestly! And I am so glad that I made 4 times the amount, because otherwise I would have not been able to give any away. Yummmm!

No comments: