Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gifts from the Kitchen: Orange Ginger Jam


 
This year I started to do chutneys and jams and I love it!!! Such a satisfactory task. And it makes the whole house smell so wonderful. I always try to do unusual flavours which are not available in the supermarket and I usually make them less sweet and more fruity by using 2:1 or 3:1 preserving sugar.

One of my favourite new recipes, which is also a great Christmas gift, is this Orange Ginger Jam which I found in the Living & More magazine.

Orange Ginger Jam
8 small organic oranges with thin peel
2 organic lemons
1l boiling water
1,5kg sugar 0r 750g 2:1 preserving sugar or  500g 3:1 preserving sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1 tablespoon citric acid


Wash oranges and lemons and cut in 8 columns. Then cut columns into thin slices and put them into a pot. Cover with the boiling water and let it brew for a few hours. Bring to the boil with the sugar and ginger, and cook uncovered for about 1 hour. Dissolve the citric acid in a little cold water and add it to the jam when it is no longer cooking. Fill the jam in sterilized jars and store in a cool place.

The given amount make about 8 jars, enough to give a few as presents and enjoy the rest yourself.
 
Hmmmmm! I love that tart citron taste!!!!

No comments: